Thursday, September 26, 2019

#2352: Thursday, September 26: New hearing aids


Post 2352
- 8 years and 269 days since I started this blog -
  
Daily Comment
I got my new hearing aids, and had my initial consult with the online company's audiologist, a doctor in New York City.

My first impressions? She's very pretty. Just kidding (although it's true). The hearing aids are very good, and they are much more advanced than the ones they're replacing.

I won't describe all the bells and whistles, but their iPhone connectivity is the one that's made the strongest impression on me.

The sound quality, as well, is very impressive. I was easily able to hear and understand people for the first time in quite a while. 

My old hearing aids were a once-in-a-lifetime deal, at $2,200 for the pair, a 60% discount. My out of pocket expense after medical insurance refund (I was working at the time I bought them), was $200!

When I called the clinic about replacing them with the same brand at a similar discount, I was told that the discount, wouldn't be available. Suddenly I was looking at a four-thousand-plus dollar expense.

Then I saw an ad for these hearing aids, went to the web-site, and was impressed. They said these hearing aids had everything I wanted, and for less than $1700, delivered, with two years of free financing, two years of any-time audiologist consults, a complete kit of replacement and maintenance parts, and a year's worth of batteries. And a one-hundred day money back guarantee to try them out.

I don't think I'll be returning them.

One of the things that makes me happiest about them, and kind of angry at all my previous audiologists, is that they have a tiny form factor, and do not need molded ear-plugs. This makes them more comfortable and almost invisible when worn, as opposed to what they're replacing.

The anger at previous audiologists comes from having been steered away from this type of hearing aid. I can only assume there was a profit motive involved. I was told that this type would not work for me, I had to have the ear molds (at my additional expense), and the only type that would satisfy me were high-end, high-maintenance and crazy expensive.

Okay. I have a new audiologist, she can fix things on the computer and on my phone. I will go back and get my hearing tested and my old hearing aids will get new tubes and will be reprogrammed. All is forgiven. I'm breathing. 

Speaking of which, I have a cold.

But I'm still grateful.

Food and Diet 
Today's Weight:                    200.1 lbs.
Previous Weight (9/25/19):         199.2 lbs.
Net Loss/Gain:                     + 0.9 lbs.
Diet Comment
After losing more than two pounds yesterday, today I am up just under a pound. So it goes. I'm still below the trend line, at goal weight (for all intents and purposes). I am, of course, happy with that.

Food Log
Breakfast
Skipped.

Lunch
10:30pm: Beefburger (organic, grass-fed) with home-made turmeric mayonnaise, and a salad (arugula, chard, kale, spinach, red cabbage, shaved parmesan, walnuts and balsamic vinaigrette.

Dinner
1:05am: A Quest bar.

Liquid Intake
   Espressos: 2;   Coffee: 0 oz.;  Water: 48+ oz.


 Please leave a comment when you visit my blog.
Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment