Monday, September 2, 2019

#2335: Monday, September 2: When playing doesn't work


Post 2335
- 8 years and 245 days since I started this blog -
  
Daily Comment
I am feeling guilty about something that happened at the Sunday open mic at Valley Blues House.

I was playing bass with some old friends and a couple of new guys. It started off great, things were gelling, I was happy with the rhythm section work going on, and the people in the audience were responding well. Success.

We changed out a couple of players, including the drummer, who is a good drummer I've played with before.

It continued to be a good jam, not losing much energy in the transition, and then a call was made for 'Rock Me Baby' in a key I don't usually play that song in. Now, I have no problem playing any song in any key, but there was just something about this version of this song...

I got no feel from the other musicians. It seemed just a touch too slow, just a touch too soft, lacking energy.

In this situation, I typically fight to get a groove going. This time, I wasn't feeling it, and didn't. The joy went out of the music for a few minutes, and I was certainly (if not solely) responsible for that. I was certainly completely responsible for my own lack of professionalism and musicality.

That performance was a terrible way to end my time playing at the open mic, and by the time we were done with it, I felt a bit embarrassed.

When another bass player (the house bass player, an enormously talented and sophisticated jazzy player) called me on it, I immediately confessed. He said I'd disappointed him, that he could tell I wasn't into it.

I've felt guilty ever since. I had failed to do the thing that matters most in these sessions, a thing that totally freaks me out when someone else does it: I hadn't played my best, out of ego.

I will forgive myself, but not until after I've beat myself up a little more. I thought I'd learned the lesson I'm now finding I need to give myself.

I am grateful for the chance to improve.


Food and Diet 
Today's Weight:                    201.9 lbs.
Previous Weight (8/30/19):         199.9 lbs.
Net Loss/Gain:                     + 2.0 lbs.
Diet Comment
That's a significant increase in two days - but it isa also within the typical range of daily weight variations. I think in the next few days I'll drop those two pounds and more, so, no worries.

Food Log
Breakfast
4:45pm: Blue-green protein smoothie with almonds, kefir, large organic egg, chia gel, kale, spinach, blueberries, whey powder (24g protein), coconut oil, hemp seeds, hemp protein (7g protein), raw organic cacao powder, moringa leaf powder, fo ti (mushroom powder), cinnamon, turmeric and stevia-inulin blend.

Lunch
9:30pm: A Quest bar.

Dinner
12:05pm: Dubliner cheese and walnuts, cole slaw, carrots with homemade mayonnaise, and a Quest bar.

Liquid Intake
   Espressos: 1;   Coffee: 22+ oz.;  Water: 76+ oz.; 


 Please leave a comment when you visit my blog.
Thank you!

1 comment: