Friday, September 20, 2019

#2348: Friday, September 20: What you get when you're not looking...


Post 2348
- 8 years and 263 days since I started this blog -
  
Daily Comment
There's this old wives tale told to and by young men: You'll find a woman as soon as you stop looking for one.

I don't believe it holds true all the time, or is exclusively for romance. I think there is a big element of being ready, and a big element of removing your expectations that is contained in that maxim.

I stopped looking for a woman a long time ago - first, when I found one seventeen years ago, and then again when that same woman participated in, and precipitated, a life-changing personal disaster. That time I was uninterested, for reasons both pragmatic, emotional (fear, mainly), and physical, in the complications of another relationship.

As to not being limited to romance, I do like my musical moments, and being ready (prepared to play at a moment's notice) and of having minimal expectations - I put myself in situations where I get to play, but know that I may have little say about what and with whom I play, or how much time I get, if any - does let a night like tonight happen.

A few months ago, at one of the open mics I went to I met Justin, a guitarist/singer/songwriter performing solo. I then started seeing him at other open mics, solo, usually. At some point, he asked me to play with him, and it went well enough for him to ask me again.

When he got a show at one of my regular open mic and band concert stops, Valley Blues House, Justin invited me to sit in on bass.

The longest amount of time we had ever played together was probably no more than twenty minutes. I went into this evening with few expectations beyond playing a few songs with him, possibly leaving early to see another show with some friends' band at the Dinosaur BBQ.

Instead, I played just under three hours, to an audience - not the smallest audience, though not large for the house - that was very enthusiastic.


I think the gig turned out great. I had one of my favorite local drummers, Kevin, usually a jazz guy, but able to do great things with this more r&b-flavored punky music. I had a great time. The audience liked it so much, I actually got paid and got bought drinks - far more than I usually allow myself in one night - and given pot to smoke.

I even made contact with a woman I found very attractive, although it turns out she was a pro waiting for her date. I know she liked the music, anyway.

It's another time when being grateful for whatever comes my way pays off in unexpected ways. And I am.


Food and Diet 
Today's Weight:                    202.3 lbs.
Previous Weight (9/19/19):         202.6 lbs.
Net Loss/Gain:                     - 0.3 lbs.
Diet Comment
A quarter-pound loss, as I've said, is just noise. But better noise than a quarter-pound gain, right? Looking forward to losing more over the weekend, but, as I mentioned above, I had a large amount of whiskey and that may throw things off. We'll see. Nothing to worry about.

Food Log
Breakfast
4:50pm:
Smoked salmon and greens sauté (with eggs, kale, spinach, onions and peppers, butter, coconut oil, turmeric, pepper).
Lunch
8:10pm: A Quest bar and cottage cheese.

Dinner
1:05am: 
Arugula, cabbage, chard, kale, spinach, roasted turkey breast, shaved parmesan cheese, walnuts and balsamic vinaigrette. Not shown: A Quest bar.
Liquid Intake
   Espressos: 1;   Coffee: 0 oz.;  Water: 64+ oz.; 4 shots of Jameson's Irish whiskey.


 Please leave a comment when you visit my blog.
Thank you!

2 comments:

  1. i thought that was going another direction. glad you are well

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's about expectations, and how they interfere with your present...

    ReplyDelete