Monday, August 26, 2019

#2330: Monday, August 26: Car woes plus


Post 2330
- 8 years and 238 days since I started this blog -
  
Daily Comment
There probably isn't a more frustrating thing than car troubles. And I am beset.

Just over three weeks ago I sank over sixteen-hundred dollars into my car to get emergency brake work done. It should have been less, but a) it was an emergency and b) the repair shop that did the work knew they would never see me again.

So.

Today I went in to have that repair checked by my local guy, because I was hearing noise while the car was rolling that sounded like the beginning of the problem I had three weeks ago.

It was not the brakes. It was the wheel bearings.

I'm going to need four new wheel bearings.

That will be more expensive than all the brake work I just had done.

If I had known that in the twelve-month period leading up to tomorrow, when I will get the repairs done and paid for them, I would sink almost six thousand dollars (I've had four major repairs done in that time) into maintaining a car I don't even particularly like, that is proving unreliable, I'd have pulled the car to the side of the road and abandoned it (which I did to the very first car I owned back in 1968).

I will have to pull the money for this new repair out of my retirement savings, which is entirely invested in stocks, in about six weeks. I don't know exactly how to time it, because it means selling some stock, and all my stocks are depressed, and we're still in the time of year where they're losing value.

It's frustrating. I have, for the most part, gotten over it. Yes, there's only one thing more frustrating than car problems (for me): computer problems. And, guess what: My MacBook Pro (that I'm writing this on), has been blue-screening erratically, unpredictably, but very  often.

I'm profoundly grateful that I can handle these first-world problems without altering my present lifestyle. It lets me breathe easier.


Food and Diet 
Today's Weight:                    200.3 lbs.
Previous Weight (8/23/19):         200.3 lbs.
Net Loss/Gain:                     - 0.0 lbs.
Diet Comment
It's always good to come out the other side of a weekend the same weight you went in, especially when that weight is a good one. Weekends are usually a time for excess and abandon. This weekend was good, without either.

Food Log
Breakfast
5:45pm:
LEO (lox, eggs and onions) on greens (arugula, chard, kale, red cabbage, spinach).
Lunch
10:00pm: Carrots with homemade mayonnaise and a Quest bar.

Dinner
11:45pm: Buttered toast with Super Grains bread.

Liquid Intake
   Espressos: 1;   Coffee: 0 oz.;  Water: 72+ oz.; 


 Please leave a comment when you visit my blog.
Thank you!

3 comments:

  1. oh that sucks. Hope it fixes the problem

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obviously, I am binge reading your journal but just wanted to check out if you are still feeling so stuck. If so, please give me a call. Love you, joan

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I don't feel stuck. I might give you a call anyway.

    ReplyDelete